Nominations Due: February 15th Extended to March 4th!
Applications Due: April 15th
Request an Application
A. PURPOSE: To recognize an individual who has made significant contributions to the practice of diabetes education and medical nutrition therapy as well as demonstrated the integration of food and the culinary experience into educational teaching methods. Candidate's contributions can include any or all of the following categories: direct patient care, professional education, food and culinary experience, public education, advocacy and public policy, research, and/or publication.
B. ELIGIBILITY: All active DDPG members except Awards Committee members, DDPG Chair, and DDPG Chair-elect. This is a one time award and cannot be nominated again for the same award.
C. SELECTION PROCESS & CRITERIA:
- Written nominations of eligible DDPG members for the Diabetes Educator of the Year Award can be submitted by any member of DDPG, including one's self.
- Nominees will be contacted by the Awards Committee Assistant Chair and asked to complete the Award Application and Personal Information Forms. Nominees will submit curriculum vitae to support their nominations.
- Nominee will be considered for this award based on:
- Contribution to the practice of diabetes education and patient care.
- Demonstration of service in meeting the needs (physical, psychological, social and educational) of patients with diabetes and family.
- Integration of food and the culinary experience into educational teaching methods.
- Participation in the diabetes education community through public policy, research, or publication.
D. ENTRY DEADLINE: All nominations must be received by February 15.
E. THE AWARD: A commemorative plaque, plus a cash award* which the winner may use to help fund travel, registration and lodging expenses to attend the Academy's Food and Nutrition Conference and Exhibition (FNCE). It is expected that the winner will attend the DDPG Awards Ceremony at FNCE to receive his/her award. The winner will be responsible for paying any taxes associated with the cash award.
*Amount of cash award is pending approval from the award sponsor. In past years, this amount has been enough to fund all travel and registration expenses to FNCE. Nominees will be notified of the award amount after this information is confirmed.
F. COMPOSITION OF THE AWARDS COMMITTEE: The Awards committee will be composed of an Awards Committee Chair, Assistant Chair, and appointed members who will act as judges. The Awards Committee Chair and Assistant Chair will be responsible for receiving entries and will provide anonymity to the Awards Committee process.
G. AWARDS COMMITTEE PROCEDURES:
- Nominations will be submitted to Awards Committee Chair by February 15th.
- Upon receipt of a nomination, the Assistant Chair will mail to the nominee a letter informing him/her of the nomination, the award application and personal information forms, instructions, and the date by which materials must be returned for judging.
- Judging will be performed independently by non-chair members of the committee. The Assistant Chair will provide each judge with a complete and anonymous set of information submitted by each nominee, evaluation criteria for judging the award and a scoring composite sheet. A deadline will be specified by which score sheets must be returned to the Assistant Chair.
- The Assistant Chair will tally the judges' score sheets and submit the name of the winner to the Chair of the Awards Committee and the DDPG Administrative Manager. In the case of a tie, the Awards Committee Chair, DDPG Chair and Chair-Elect will cast three extra and deciding votes.
- The Awards Committee Chair will notify the winning nominee by telephone at least 12 weeks prior to FNCE. It is expected that the winner will attend FNCE to receive his/her award.
- The Awards Committee Chair will notify all other nominees by mail prior to any public announcement.
- The Educator of the Year Award will be presented at the DDPG Awards Ceremony during FNCE.
If you have questions, email DDPG Awards Chair at email@example.com.