Nominations Due: February 15th Extended to March 4th!
Applications Due: April 15th
Request an Application
A. PURPOSE: To recognize an individual who has demonstrated leadership and service as a member of the Diabetes Dietetic Practice Group and who has worked toward the promotion of dietetics professionals involved in diabetes care and the diabetes community.
B. ELIGIBILITY: All active DDPG members except previous winners of the Distinguished Service Award, Awards Committee members, DDPG Chair, and DDPG Chair-elect. This is a one time award and cannot be nominated again for the same award.
C. SELECTION PROCESS & CRITERIA:
- Written nominations of eligible DDPG members for the Diabetes Educator of the Year Award can be submitted by any member of DDPG, including one's self.
- Nominees will be contacted by the Awards Committee Assistant Chair and asked to complete the Personal Information Form. Nominees will submit the Personal Information Form and curriculum vitae to support nominations.
- Nominees will be considered for this award based on:
- Active participation in the functioning/projects of DDPG
- Promotion of DDPG outside the practice group
- Involvement in other diabetes associations which highlight/promote the registered dietitian in diabetes care
- Demonstration of a leadership role in DDPG
- Consideration of major presentations, publications and research applicable to the care and education of individuals with diabetes
D. ENTRY DEADLINE: All nominations must be received by February 15th.
E. THE AWARD: A commemorative plaque, and cash award*, which may be used by the winner to fund their travel and registration expenses to the Academy's Food and Nutrition Conference and Exhibition (FNCE®). It is expected that the winner will attend FNCE® to receive his/her award. The winner is responsible for any taxes associated with the cash award.
*Amount of cash award is pending approval from the award sponsor. In past years, this amount has been enough to fund all travel and registration expenses to FNCE®. Nominees will be notified of the award amount after this information is confirmed.
F. COMPOSITION OF THE DDPG CHAMPION AWARD SELECTION COMMITTEE: The Awards committee will be composed of an Awards Committee Chair, Assistant Chair, and appointed members who will act as judges. The Awards Committee Chair and Assistant Chair will be responsible for receiving entries and will provide anonymity to the Awards Committee process.
G. AWARDS COMMITTEE PROCEDURES:
- Nominations will be submitted to the Awards Committee Chair by February 15th.
- Upon receipt of a nomination, the Assistant Chair will mail to the nominee a letter informing him/her of the nomination, the award application and personal information forms, instructions, and the date by which materials must be returned for judging.
- Judging will be performed independently by non-chair members of the committee. The Assistant Chair will provide each judge with a complete and anonymous set of information submitted by each nominee, evaluation criteria for judging the award and a scoring composite sheet. A deadline will be specified by which score sheets must be returned to the Assistant Chair.
- The Assistant Chair will tally the judges' score sheets and submit the name of the winner to the Chair of the Awards Committee and the DDPG Administrative Manager. In the case of a tie, the Awards Committee Chair, DDPG Chair and Chair-Elect will cast three extra and deciding votes.
- The Awards Committee Chair will notify the winning nominee by telephone at least 12 weeks prior to FNCE®. It is expected that the winner will to attend the FNCE® DDPG Awards Ceremony to receive his/her award.
- The Awards Committee Chair will notify all other nominees by email prior to any public announcement of the award.
- The Distinguished Service Award will be presented at the DDPG Awards Ceremony during FNCE®.
Request an Application
If you have questions, email DDPG Awards Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org.