Almond Butter Thumbprint Cookies with Raspberry Rhubarb Filling
- 1/2 cup almond butter (thicker consistency preferred
- 1/2 cup almond flour (ground almonds using a blender works just as well as store bought almond flour)
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 6 Tbsp jam of choice
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup finely diced rhubarb
- 12 ounces fresh raspberries
- Juice of 1 orange
- 2 - 3 Tbsp stevia
- 3 Tbsp chia seeds, ground or whole (ground chia seeds provide thickening with a smoother texture, while whole chia seeds will be more prominent and lend the texture of a seeded jam)
For the cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a medium bowl, beat together all of the ingredients, scraping down the sides and mixing until a stiff mixture is formed
- Using a greased baking tablespoon to create uniform scoops, place the cookies onto a greased baking sheet and roll into balls. Flatten slightly with your palm, and then use your thumb to create a well for the jam.
- Place a scant teaspoon of jam into the well, and then bake the cookies for about 10 minutes, until bottoms and edges are golden brown.
For the filling:
- Heat a medium sized pot over medium heat. Add in and melt the coconut oil.
- Add the rhubarb to the pot and satuee for 2 - 3 minutes until it begins to reduce in size.
- Add in the raspberries, orange juice, and honey to the pan. Allow to cook down to 1/3 the original volume, stirring frequently. Maintain a simmer, but not a vigorous boil.
- Adjust sweetness to taste with stevia.
- Once reduced in size, remove from heat and add chia, whisking in to incorporate. Allow to cool to set and thicken.
Bailey Carr, RD, LD
Serving Size: 1 cookie and 1 Tbsp filling
Servings Per Recipe: 18 cookies and 1 1/4 cup filling
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 3.5 g
Saturated Fat 1.6 g
Cholesterol 9 mg
Sodium 72 mg
Total Carbohydrate 9.7 g
Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
Total Sugars 5.7 g
Protein 1.5 g
Vitamin D 1 mcg
Calcium 24 mg
Iron 1 mg
Potassium 74 mg